Ontario Smoke Free Policy for Rental Building
Create a Smoke Free Policy for a multi-unit rental building with this easy downloadable template for Ontario landlords.
- The policy is consistent with the requirements of the Smoke-Free Ontario Act and the Residential Tenancies Act.
- Smoking is prohibited throughout the rental premises and common areas, with the exception of designated outdoor smoking areas (if any - this is optional).
- All new leases will contain no smoking provisions. Existing tenants will be allowed to smoke within their rental units unless they consent to opt into the policy.
- Staff and contractors are required to comply with the policy and with the Smoke-Free Ontario Act.
- Persons who are registered to use medical marijuana are exempt from the policy within the confines of their own unit, but recreational cannabis use is governed by the policy.
- Failure to comply with the policy can result in termination of the tenancy and in the case of a contractor, termination of the service contract.
- This Smoke Free Policy refers to specific provincial laws and is intended for use only within the Province of Ontario.
Last Updated: 22-Jun-2018